This project by Lendlease has achieved an 'Excellent' Design v1.1 IS Rating.
The Gateway Upgrade North will deliver safety and efficiency improvements to the Gateway Motorway between Nudgee and Bracken Ridge, a four-lane section of motorway providing a critical transport corridor for more than 83,000 vehicles each day. The Gateway Upgrade North is a vital project to widen 11.3km of the motorway in this area from four to six lanes. The project will increase the capacity and freight efficiency along this important freight corridor, which is an important part of the National Highway and services the Port of Brisbane, Trade Coast and the Brisbane Airport precinct. The $1.162 billion project is being funded by the Australian and Queensland governments. The project will see a number of key improvements to this section of the motorway and involves:
- Widening the motorway from four to six lanes from Nudgee to Bracken Ridge
- Reconfiguring the Nudgee interchange including a new Nudgee Road overpass
- Widening the Deagon Deviation between Depot Road and Bracken Ridge Road to provide two lanes in each direction
- Modifying to the Bicentennial Road interchange including extended on and off-ramps
- Construction of a new northbound bridge over Sandgate Road and the Shorncliffe rail line to replace the existing bridge;
- Construction of an off-road cycle/pedestrian facility
- Intelligent Transport Systems including variable speed limit signage, variable messaging signs, traffic monitoring cameras and ramp metering.
“We understand the environmental risks, requirements, protocols and management strategies required to plan, implement and control delivery of the Gateway Upgrade North project. We are particularly focused on those around key environmental and social values associated with the wetlands, noise and vibration, local procurement and employment, traffic and Brisbane Entertainment Centre special events, and Indigenous engagement and cultural heritage respect and protection”. Project team
To find out more about this project, visit the Gateway Upgrade North website.