This project by Downer achieved a 'Commended' As Built v1.2 IS Rating.
The project is the delivery of the Balance of Plant (BoP) infrastructure for the Ararat Wind Farm, under an Engineer, Procure, Construct (EPC) contract. Ararat Wind Farm consists of 75 x 3.23MW wind turbines (supplied by others) and is located between 8km and 15km north east of Ararat, Victoria. The project scope is essentially to provide all infrastructure for the wind farm excluding the wind turbines. This includes all electrical cabling, electrical substation, access tracks, crane hardstands, wind turbine concrete foundations, and all other infrastructure required for the delivery of a fully operational wind farm. The project boundaries are defined generally by the participating landholder property boundaries, and specifically by the Infrastructure Zone (IZ) defined within the landholders’ properties.
- Rating Type Utilities
- Registered Date February 2016
- Certification Date January 2018
- Jurisdiction Australia
- States VIC
- Suburb Melbourne
- Capital Value $130 Million
- Other Stakeholders Downer, RES Australia
- First energy and renewable energy asset type to achieve an IS rating.
- This was a voluntary rating lead by Downer during the construction stage of the project.
- This has been a great signal to industry that the IS rating can be and should be applied to even the most sustainable asset types to move industry towards their carbon neutral and positive goals.
- This project was undertaken in a really rural area of Victoria, which lead to good experiences of seeing the IS rating through a rural lens.
- The project achieved a Level 3 for Dis-2 noise, which is of particular stakeholder concern for windfarms.
To find out more about this project, visit the Ararat Wind Farm website.